For All Students:
Regular admission criteria for the Graduate School is required for all prospective degree-seeking Emergency Health Services graduate students. You must have an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 (out of a 4.0 scale), with GPAs of 3.2 or higher preferred. GPAs in Master level courses or degrees can be included for GPA considerations. For transcripts from school abroad, the UMBC Graduate School will accept official WES (World Education Services) ICAP course-by-course evaluations.
Candidate’s GRE scores may be submitted with all applications as additional evaluation criteria (optional). Applications with GPAs under the 3.0 (out of a 4.0 scale) threshold will be evaluated by the EHS Admissions Committee on a case-by-case basis and a GRE (Graduate Record Examination) may be required for entrance consideration into the Emergency Health Services program.
Those wishing to “test the waters” or to enroll in one or two courses without degree candidacy may register as Non-Degree Students. Consult with a departmental advisor for more information. Applications are available through the graduate school
For additional admissions information, please see the Graduate School Application Requirements page.
For International Students:
Along with admission criteria listed above and required by the UMBC Graduate School, an English proficiency test is required for most international students.
Minimum Scores Required:
- TOEFL: minimum score of 80
- IELTS: minimum score of 6.5 overall (Preferred: 7.0 overall), with a minimum of 6.5 in both written and reading comprehension.
- PTE Academic test: minimum score of 53
- Duolingo: minimum score of 105 overall (Preferred: 115 overall), with a minimum of 105 in both Literacy and Production. (Accepted for the current cycle of admissions)
Consult the UMBC Graduate School International Admissions page for further requirements and deadlines.
Application Submission Deadlines:
FALL Semester application deadlines:
- Domestic Students – July 1st
- International Students – March 1st
- approximate August 20th on-campus/in-person requirement
SPRING Semester application deadlines:
- Domestic Students – December 1st
- International Students – November 1st
- approximate January 24th on-campus/in-person requirement
Late applications may be considered on a case-by-case basis